Monday, March 5, 2012

MONDAY FITNESS: BIKRAM YOGA


My experience with bikram yoga (or hot yoga) has been one of extreme highs and lows. For those of you not familiar with bikram it is a type of yoga done in a heated room usually between 98 and 105 degrees. Each class you do the same 26 poses designed to strech your entire body and distribute fresh oxenegated blood to all your muscles, tendons, and organs. I did bikram pretty religously for over a year and I have to say it made me feel amazing...AFTER each class. During class I would experience a wide range of emotions from raging anger to extreme euphoria, but after class I felt refreshed and relaxed. It must have been something about the 100+ degree room that would bring to the surface all the emotions I had been trying to surpress during the day. Eventually I decieded to take a little break from bikram to try different types of yoga, my first "regular" yoga class in a "regular" air conditioned room felt like a trip to Disney World. But the truth is...I miss bikram. Well, maybe I don't miss bikram exactly, but the way it made me feel after I did it. I think I'll look into finding a hot yoga studio out here. If  your in the Miami area this studio is awesome. Below are the 26 poses of bikram:

Look easy? They aren't.


(photo from here)

No comments:

Post a Comment